Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ugh.


You know, it's been a while since I bought yarn from a store.

If I have to disembowel a center-pull skein of yarn three times to find the yarn end, you have pretty much defeated the purpose of winding yarn like this. Also, when I finally found the end, it was wrapped in such a way as to prove that the manufacturer had NO intention of anyone ever getting the damn thing out of the ball. 

That said, this is the only manufacturer of laceweight yarn I can find at the store. So when you buy it, I highly suggest picking up one of these:

No. This is not a Harry Potter Wand.

It's called a nostepinne. It's a manual ball winder that creates sane center-pull balls. I did not think of adding this to your shopping list because silly me, I thought a yarn maker would make a skein you didn't have to freaking gut to get to the start-end. Here is a youtube video on how to use one:

It can be a dowel or a stick or your fingers or a paper tube, but anything is better than having to work off of this:




Also, while we're on the subject of youtube ball-winding related videos?


Best. Winder. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment